Happy Thursday. Really?!?! One more day of school until Winter Break? That is incredible! Not necessarily because I am ready to sleep-in (well, that’s always nice too) but because it seems just like yesterday that we had Open House. Wow . . . the days are truly f-l-y-i-n-g by!
Below are the topics in this post for you to check out so you can learn more about what has been happening in the life of your fifth grader.
- Conversation Starters
- Ancient West Africa
- Math Trivia Afternoon?
- Common Core Connection
- A Smile and Question for You!
- This week you worked on a project about Ancient West Africa. What did your group teach the rest of the class about and how did you present your topic?
- What strategies have you used this week to divide fractions? How are these strategies helpful to you as a mathematician?
- Your class decorated your door for a door-decorating contest at Robinson. What did your door look like and why did your class make this choice?
- When your class visited Mrs. Meihaus in the library this week, she taught you how to research topics through the Robinson Library. Why is “One Search” a great resource for you to learn new information?
Ancient West Africa: This week, each child in the class had a small group assignment to present information about Ancient West Africa. The groups worked at the beginning of the week to creatively research for and present their presentation. Today, each group presented their research. Check out the photos below to see what it was like while the children were preparing and researching. You can even get a glimpse of what it looked like when one group was showing their presentation to the class.
Math Trivia Afternoon: This past Wednesday, we wanted to review what we have learned about fractions so decided to do it in a Trivia Night format. Each student was in 1 of 4 groups and had 4 rounds of fraction questions to answer. We even had a judge to make it all official! Check out the photos below to see what our Math Trivia Afternoon was like.
Common Core Connection: When you click here you will find a PDF document that has several frequently asked questions and answers about the Common Core. Check this out and I think it will give you some answers to some questions you might have.
A Smile and a Question: Below is a picture to make you smile this week – if you haven’t smiled enough yet. Before you check that out, read and reply to the question below. We’d love to read your reply.
- If you had a snow day, what would do all day to have fun?